A day of miracles in Cape Town

   11.12pm. A day of miracles. It was raining heavily when we awoke this morning, as it had been for most of the journey back from Port Shepstone. I had a shower, then we went down to breakfast on the terrace, after first paying the bill.

   We had no idea how we were going to get to the Air Terminal for our flight, but just when we were beginning to feel really anxious Bro. Herbert Theophilus ’phone and came to take us to the Airport. Miracle No. 1. Just before we left the post arrived with the letter I was looking for from Janet. The post was two hours early. Miracle No. 2. Bro. Herbert brought a gift of R30 from Pastor Rowlands, who was unable to come to the Airport as he had weddings to conduct.

   Our flight SA607 left on time at 10.45am. It was a Boeing 737. We had coffee and biscuits on the first leg of the flight to Port Elizabeth, and a salad lunch on the final leg to Cape Town. There was some marvellous scenery and it was quite an experience seeing the southernmost tip of Africa.

   We landed at 1.25pm in a gale. At the Airport to meet us were Miss Winifred Heath and Mrs Amy van der Merwe, Alec Ferris, Mr & Mrs Jacks and daughter, and Mr & Mrs Van Zyl and daughter, and Mrs Kawalsky and son.

   After discussing arrangements for meetings the three of us travelled in three separate cars to the President Hotel, I with Miss Heath and Mrs van der Merwe, Freda with Mr & Mrs Jacks, and Brian [Brian Bosomworth] with Alec. Three letters awaited us, and a telegram from Clifford Hulley, whom we had only said Goodbye to at 11.45pm. Yesterday he was bemoaning the loss in 1969 of a manuscript representing a lifetime’s research into his family history. This morning, on his return home, the manuscript had been returned to him through the post. The last thing Bro. Hulley said to us in parting last night was “May the Lord return your [stolen] necklace”. What a miracle!

   After putting our things in our room, No. 216, we went down into the lounge and had a pot of tea, in which we were joined by Miss Heath, Mrs van der Merwe and Alec. After they had gone we went down to the beach and had a joyous time watching the mountainous waves and collecting some of the sea-shells that lay on the beach in their millions; we have never seen so many.

   After this we came up to our room to eat the cheese and biscuits we had saved from our lunch on the plane, then at 6.30pm Miss Heath called to take us to the van Zyls’ daughter’s house for a meeting which had been arranged during the afternoon. There was absolutely nothing conducive to a good meeting. The room was cold, dimly lit, a door left open, and no one knew what to expect. I read Acts 10 then spoke casually about healing and giving, then prayed for the folk present. Mr van Zyl was instantly healed of a condition he had had for six years; and another lady, a neighbour, terribly afflicted with arthritis, who had had to be carried into the meeting, was also instantly delivered. She stood and walked and the transformation was incredible, her whole personality was changed. Afterwards we had supper.

   On our return to the hotel there were three ’phone messages awaiting us. The next two or three days look like being as busy as ever.

Previous chapter || Next chapter || Index || Search
webwork by Jim Nagel at Abbey Press, Glastonbury — this edition published 2007-06-30